If you or your family are in immediate danger don't be afraid to call the police on 999. Otherwise please contact Kent Police on the non-emergency telephone number 101 or visit your local police station to speak with an officer in confidence.

Alternatively, you can contact the freephone 24 hour National Domestic Violence Helpline run in partnership between Women's Aid and Refuge on 0808 2000 247 or the Mens' Advice Line on 0808 801 0327.

Keeping Safe

Staying Safe

If you are in an abusive relationship with another person it can be difficult to keep safe. There are things that you can do to stay safer:

  • Keep your mobile charged and topped up at all times so you can ring the police or emergency services if you need to.
  • If you put services in your mobile phone and you're worried that your phone may be looked at, give them a different name.
  • Talk to friends and family you trust about what is happening to you - they may be able to help you get support.
  • Have a codeword with a friend or family member. This could mean that they will know to contact the police if you say a certain word or phrase.
  • When you are going somewhere, think about how you will get there and back home safely.
  • Prepare a safety plan.

A safety plan can be useful in an emergency. Write the info out and keep it safe so you can access it when you need to:

  • My name and age (and names and ages of brothers and sisters if you want).
  • My address.
  • My phone number.
  • Someone I trust and can talk to about my worries is.
  • His/her phone number is.
  • His/her address is.
  • Other people I can ring in an emergency (include name and phone numbers).
  • Safe places for me to go when there's a row at home.

If you are experiencing abuse it is important to tell someone before it gets worse. If what you are experiencing is particularly serious go into your local police station for help. If you or any of your family are in immediate danger don't be afraid to call the police on 999.

If you feel you can't go to the police it is still important to tell someone what is happening to you. This could be a trusted friend or school teacher or you can speak to a local advice centre or helpline for support.

Print this page Continue to 'How can I get help?' >

Young People Home Page

Find Help Near You

Domestic Abuse Handbook

For more information, click here download our handbook.